Sunday, February 9, 2014

If You knew How Much I Used To Struggle!


I know I've talked about this before but I really want you to know 2 things:

1. This art thing that you want to get good at takes a long time - a lifetime really.

2. It's really fun when you start to put all the pieces together and start creating images that gather an audience!

To this day I still have a problem drawing in front of people. I have no problem painting in front of a group but I'm so unsure about my drawings I get really self conscious. This fish for instance goes through a really rough loose stage that changes form many times before I start to see things I like. Often I don't like where it's going and have to start over from scratch - that would make a really fun demo wouldn't it?...and the fear of that happening is paralyzing - so I don't often draw in front of my classes.


I gave the assignment to create a "Fish King" character in my Imagination and Visual Literacy class at UVU and invited my students to send me images to post - some of them took me up on this invitation. I hope they realize that they draw better than I did when I was going to college. I was put on "probation" for being such a horrible artist.

Oh yeah - it was my son Aaron's idea to put fish hooks in his lips - credit where credit's due!


I love the diversity you can see in their work. By nature artists want to be different. Artists want to show the world something they've never seen. Check out Dallin Orr's and Todd wilson's work.

9 comments:

  1. I had that same problem in college. In all of my classes, we would get up and walk around the room to look at each others work. It was awful!! I also hated the weekly crit, when we had to post our homework on the wall, and the class would comment. My work at that time was so bad that NO ONE would comment! The only class where that didn't happen was figure drawing. And much like you, to do this day I HATE drawing in front of other people. I pretty much refuse to do it. Glad to hear I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you - I think I need more exposure therapy :)

      Delete
  2. What kept you motivated to keep going with your artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, also, I LOVE the unfinished look. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous artwork you have done. I am so wonder after visit your drawing. A big thanks for sharing with us !!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...